Talbani ... In Charge?

Okamisan
Site Admin

Talbani ... In Charge?

Postby Okamisan » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:27 pm

Talbani woke in Shazier’s bed, to find the healer, already fully dressed, standing over him. “Forgive me, dear one. After your adventure yesterday, I wanted to let you rest as long as you could. But I am being called away, and there are some things I needed to tell you before I leave.”

Sitting up, Talbani looked at Shazier as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. He hadn't realized how tired he actually was until that moment.

"Called away? Where are you going and what am I to do with Krol while you are gone?" This is not good, Talbani thought to himself. Not good at all.

“Darnot and I are going to Fireglade Lair. There has been an earthquake and many of the riders and dragons have been injured or killed, including their healers. You will be in charge of the infirmary while I am away, and Master Ionesthus will help you with any beasts that need healing -- including Krol, if he should take a turn for the worse, although I don’t think he will.”

Talbani instantly became fully awake. "Me, in charge of the infirmary? But I don't know nearly enough to be in charge. Then there is the matter of Krol." Talbani stood there in his nightshirt shaking his head. What am I to do, he thought to himself. "When are you leaving and more importantly when will you be returning?"

Calm yourself little one. You are a fine healer and will do this lair proud.

“I’ll be leaving within the hour, and unfortunately I don’t know when I’ll be back,” Shazier said. “Though I’ll do my best to send word back as I am able. Take care of Krol, and I have no doubt he will take good care of you.”

Taking a deep breath, Talbani sighed and looked at Shazier. "I shall miss you Master but I will do my best to honor your teachings and your faith in me." Now if I only believed it.

“If you could get dressed, I’ll meet you in my workshop and I can tell you the things you’ll need to know before I leave.” Shazier lifted Talbani’s chin with one hand and gave him a gentle kiss. “Everything will be all right.”

Watching as Shazier left, Talbani let the kiss linger then shook himself. His mind was in a jumbled mess as he imagined everything that could go wrong. He splashed cold water on his face to make sure he was as alert as possible. He then through on his trousers and shirt followed by his vest. It was somewhat raggedy but it was all he had left from "before" -- the time when he had been chosen to come to the Lair. He shoved his feet into his boots trying not to stumble on them.

Tal, calm down. He wouldn't leave you in charge if he didn't think you could do it.

That’s easy for you to say Krol. You don't know anything about me.

I have CHOSEN you and that is all I need to know. Now get a move on or I shall have to push you there.
If you've got eyes to rhythmatize / Bring your flat hat and your ax / 'Cause tonight at ten / We'll be working again / At the teahouse on the tracks
--Donald Fagen, "Teahouse on the Tracks," from the album Kamakiriad
Okamisan
Site Admin

Re: Talbani ... In Charge?

Postby Okamisan » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:31 pm

Talbani managed to make it to the workshop without falling flat on his face. He stood watching for a moment as the healer was gathering up things. He so didn't want to let Shazier down yet at the same time he was terrified of failing.

Shazier smiled as he noticed Talbani. “I doubt it’ll do much good for me to say, but please, dear one, don’t be afraid. I have faith you will be able to handle any trouble that might arise. And you can call upon anyone else in the Lair to assist you at need. While I am gone, the first thing I would like you to do is inventory our supplies and restock as much as you can. I’m afraid I’ve depleted a lot.” He pointed to a set of dragon-sized saddlebags lying, fully loaded, near the door.

“Take care of Krol, and look after anyone who might come into the infirmary for help. Unless something very untoward happens, that shouldn’t be a problem. Althaka’s clutch is due to hatch in about ten days. I hope to be back by then. Even if I’m not, thanks in no small part to you, the poisoning has been cured, so there should be no trouble with the dragonlings. I assume there will be enough candidates for the hatching by then as well.

“I have no doubt you have countless questions. What do you need to know?”

“I have so many questions I don’t know where to start.” Talbani stood there with a confused look on his face. He knew what questions he had but didn’t want to sound as stupid as he felt. “What happens if Althaka’s clutch hatches before you return and there are not enough candidates? I am guessing I am not considered a candidate now that Krol has chosen me.”

“That’s right. If there aren’t enough, the Talonleaders will ask anyone who doesn’t have a bond to go to the hatching, whether they have been a candidate before or not. But I know they have several search parties out. It should be sufficient.”

“About Krol, what am I supposed to do with him? Are one of the leaders going to continue to hunt for him until he can fly and once he can fly what am I supposed to do with him? I know nothing about training a dragon; you know that. I’ve only been on the back of one the few times I went with you.” Talbani had to pause to catch his breath.

“Speak with the dragonling trainers. They will work with you to teach you what you need to know. I suspect one of them may seek you out, if you don’t get a chance to talk to them first. Hestia and the other dragons will help Krol hunt until he can fly again.”

“If something serious happens who am I to call upon? Restocking supplies is probably the least of my worries, Shazier. I don’t think I’m ready for this. I know you think I am and Krol seems to think I am, but doesn’t how I feel count? I’ve always followed your lead.” Turning away from Shazier, Talbani took a deep breath.

He turned around and again looked at Shazier. “My apologies, Master. I must sound like a foolish child. I will do my best to make sure all is taken care of in your absence. As for Krol, well that is another story in itself.”

What do you mean I am another story? You needn’t worry Tal I will guide you along.

Shazier smiled and patted Talbani on the shoulder. “Of course, how you feel counts. If I had a choice, I would take you with me. Or not go … but we must help Fireglade Lair. And you are the best trained healer in the Lair, after myself. You have learned a very great deal in a short time, more than you realize, perhaps. If anything serious happens, work with Master Ionesthus, and seek out Talonleader Zhaviera. The dragonling trainers can also be called on.”

Attempting to return Shazier’s smile, Talbani looked at his mentor. "I will check on Althaka’s eggs daily and make sure they are well. One question, how will I know for sure when they are ready to hatch? I would like to be prepared."

“You will see them starting to move, just a tiny bit at first. You might notice little cracks or a very small hole in the shell. And the dragons who are watching over the clutch -- Hestia among them -- will know. They will let you know, and everyone in the Lair.”

Talbani felt like he would never be prepared but he knew this was his time to grow up and be what he had trained for. A healer.
If you've got eyes to rhythmatize / Bring your flat hat and your ax / 'Cause tonight at ten / We'll be working again / At the teahouse on the tracks
Okamisan
Site Admin

Re: Talbani ... In Charge?

Postby Okamisan » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:37 pm

Master Shazier, you can be assured I will watch over our young friend.

Talbani stared at Shazier, shocked. "You...you can hear Krol? Why didn't you tell me?"

And you Krol....why didn't you tell me?

Shazier chuckled. “I can hear him, though it takes some effort. He convinced me I could do it. There just wasn’t time to tell you.”

There was a knock on the door, and Darnot poked his head through. “You ready, Shazier? Koulani’s loaded with my supplies, but there’s still room for yours.”

“Right.” Shazier shouldered one set of saddlebags and looked toward Talbani. “Can you help me carry these out to Koulani?” he asked.

"But of course, my liege." Talbani reached down and picked up Shazier’s bags. With each step he felt a little bit of fear and self-doubt start to creep back in.

As they walked out, Talbani saw Koulani and realized he had forgotten how big he was. He was even bigger than Krol.

Just because he is bigger doesn't mean he is better than I.

I'm sorry Krol. I didn't mean to suggest that you were small or anything.

It's okay Tal. Dragons come in all sizes, shapes and colors. You'll soon learn all this.

"Koulani is magnificent, Master Darnot." Looking at Koulani, Talbani made introductions. "Master Darnot and Koulani, may I present Krolnmite. Krol for short.”

Krol bowed his head in deference to the big black. It is my honor.

Welcome to Aurgath, brother. You have chosen well with that one. He helped to heal me not long ago, too.

“Welcome, Krol,” Darnot said. “The story of your arrival here has spread across the Lair. I think you’ll find you’ve made a good choice in Talbani.” The beast healer turned to Talbani, taking the bags he was carrying and strapping them down firmly to the carrying harness on Koulani’s back. “I wish you could come with us, Talbani,” he said. “But someone has to take care of the infirmary here -- and you’ve got a dragon to look after now. A little ahead of schedule, eh?” He grinned and clapped Talbani on the shoulder.

"To be honest I wish I were going with you as well," replied Talbani. "As I have told Shazier, I will do my best although I fear it won't be as well as he would do it."

Tal, you must have more faith in yourself. You tended to my wounds and apparently you helped Koulani as well. You are an accomplished healer in your own right and the sooner you realize it the better you'll be.

Looking at Krol and then at Shazier, Talbani nodded. "You and Master Darnot best be on your way. There are people who need your help. I will take care of Aurgath Lair. If something comes up that I can't handle I will seek out the Talonleaders. I wish you peace and god speed on your journey."

Talbani bowed before Darnot, Koulani and Shazier, whom he was going to miss quite desperately as he had hoped to have his help with Krol.

Darnot bowed in return before turning to climb into the saddle on Koulani’s back. Koulani dipped his head in a dragonish gesture of respect. But Shazier swept up Talbani in a bear hug, told him softly, “I truly will miss you, dear one,” and kissed him before turning away and clambering up into the saddle behind Darnot.

Koulani walked a short distance until he had cleared the infirmary’s shelter, then crouched low and leapt into the air, gaining altitude with rapid beats of his huge wings. Krol lifted his head and roared a farewell.

Talbani watched as his friend, his teacher and his love flew off into the sky. As he watched them fly away he took a deep breath, "Well, I guess I'm the healer for the lair. Let's go Krol. Time to check on Althaka and her clutch."

Everything will be fine Tal. The lair is in good hands.

Time will tell Krol. Time will tell.

Return to “Lentheas”