Harlan: Adventure Prelude

Archive of inactive, closed threads.
Okamisan
Site Admin

Harlan: Adventure Prelude

Postby Okamisan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:41 am

Harlan:

It has taken some time for you and the Tardis to calculate a course to the Gallifrey of this dimension, but finally you've managed it, and are now on your way to the homeworld of the Time Lords. You are sitting in a chair next to the console, considering whether to check on Bryncat, who hasn't yet emerged from the Zero Room. River and Katanya are (you think) in the hot spring room; Dr. Morin is in telepathically shielded cold storage; and Lord Starling is in a chair on the far side of the console room, apparently sketching out plans for his latest gizmo or other. Lady Cameron, who had been sleeping in Bryncat's room, steps into the console room. It looks like she's managed to find a change of clothes from somewhere.

Before you can react to this, you are struck by a full-on telepathic vision! You no longer see the console room around you; instead, you are standing in a chamber which is almost entirely dark, but gives an impression of great space. All you can see are a series of crystalline cages or cells, each illuminated by a single light above it, suspended in the darkness by an almost impossibly thin pedestal. Someone is sliding down the nearest of these; she reaches the floor and immediately runs toward you. You cannot see her face, which is hidden by veils, but her voice is eerily familiar, sending a pang through your hearts. "I do not know your name but in our dimension you are Almeisan. We need your help -- you and all your companions -- to save the greatest of us -- from us. Take great care when you come to Gallifrey. If you are anything like our Almeisan, you will know this already. I will find you when you arrive. Do not believe what the Time Lords tell you of Maia."

You hear a harsh cry of pain or terror from above. The woman turns to look over her shoulder, and sprints away, past you and into the darkness. As you turn to look after her, the vision fades.
If you've got eyes to rhythmatize / Bring your flat hat and your ax / 'Cause tonight at ten / We'll be working again / At the teahouse on the tracks
--Donald Fagen, "Teahouse on the Tracks," from the album Kamakiriad
DarkKarma0
Artisan
Artisan

Re: Harlan: Adventure Prelude

Postby DarkKarma0 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:33 am

Harlan comes out of the vision, gaping and shaken. He stares at the console and pats it, making sure it's all real. "Chameleon circuit."

He reaches under the mahogany control console and flips a tiny switch. A brass rod telescopes out of the console, bearing a sphere of brass typing keys. Harlan taps the keys, thinking, then turning the sphere to tap new keys underneath.

"Been a while since I used this," he mutters to himself. "Still, the perception filter can't do it all, not where we're going. Something large, but dull. Ubiquitous. A column! A big, white, boring old Greek column."
Joe Medina
Okamisan
Site Admin

Postby Okamisan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:50 pm

This is a relatively easy task, so I'm going to say Harlan can accomplish it without needing to roll.

About the time you've finished with that, the door to the rest of the Tardis opens again; this time, it is Bryncat who emerges. She's fixed up her hair and changed clothes (to the white gown from the portrait), and is carrying the rose you gave her. She smiles and pins it back on your lapel, though by the time she's finished her expression has sobered, as she's also taken in your expression and the state of the console.

"You look like you've seen something a lot more terrible than a slightly dodgy chameleon circuit," she says. "What's going on?"
If you've got eyes to rhythmatize / Bring your flat hat and your ax / 'Cause tonight at ten / We'll be working again / At the teahouse on the tracks
DarkKarma0
Artisan
Artisan

Postby DarkKarma0 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:15 am

Harlan nods. Looking over his shoulder, he leads her to a velvet couch. "Someone at our destination has made contact." He taps his temple. "Direct contact." He describes the telepathic communication from earlier, adding, "I think it's safe to assume we're walking into a trap. A trap for who, I don't know."
Joe Medina
Okamisan
Site Admin

Postby Okamisan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:49 pm

While Bryncat is back in her labs attending to some tweaks to the remnant of her sonar web, Harlan is working on the shielding for the Tardis core. Could you give me an Ingenuity + Technology roll (include a +2 for your AoE in Tardis Operations) to see how well the work comes off?
DarkKarma0
Artisan
Artisan

Postby DarkKarma0 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:09 am

Sorry, I didn't see your last posting until now. Sending a dice roll via Secure Dice. I'm not sure how well it went, though. I tried rolling only once, but the website kept insisting on several rolls.
Joe Medina

Return to “Archive”