Home, But Not Home -- Harlan and Lord Starling

Archive of inactive, closed threads.
Okamisan
Site Admin

Home, But Not Home -- Harlan and Lord Starling

Postby Okamisan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:20 am

Our story thus far:

Harlan and Lord Starling have been plucked from in front of Harlan's TARDIS by one of the Time Lords of this universe, the Castellan Hamal, and sent to Lord Starling's home, about eight years after he left it. Once there, they have discovered that a civil war has been taking place, with the lower classes of Terran Britain revolting against the aristocracy. They have been aided and abetted by Lord Starling's cousin Julia, who has apparently created a race of metal soldiers ... quite possibly this universe's analog to the Cybermen.

Harlan and Lord Starling are in the midst of devising plans to try and deal with this threat. One aspect involves building a device to generate an electro-magnetic pulse, which would disable any electronics in its area of effect. (This would be a weapon of last resort, as it could possibly even disrupt the workings of the Time Ring, their only means of returning to the TARDIS...)

What do each of you want to do from here?
If you've got eyes to rhythmatize / Bring your flat hat and your ax / 'Cause tonight at ten / We'll be working again / At the teahouse on the tracks
--Donald Fagen, "Teahouse on the Tracks," from the album Kamakiriad
DarkKarma0
Artisan
Artisan

Re: Home, But Not Home -- Harlan and Lord Starling

Postby DarkKarma0 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:31 pm

Maybe Harlan can find a broken radio to tweak? It might be handy to convert it into a transceiver.
Joe Medina
Starling
Honored Guest
Honored Guest

Postby Starling » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Harlan, could we possible make a container to shield the time ring from the EM blast?
DarkKarma0
Artisan
Artisan

Postby DarkKarma0 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Harlan looks around, thinking, then holds up the time ring. "Does anybody around here make tea tins this big?"
Joe Medina
Okamisan
Site Admin

Postby Okamisan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:48 pm

(ooh, a Faraday cage from a tea tin? cool!)

Obtaining a tea tin big enough to cover the Time Ring shouldn't be a problem. A broken radio, not much of a problem either. In fact, I'm going to say you can find both in Lord Starling's lab.
If you've got eyes to rhythmatize / Bring your flat hat and your ax / 'Cause tonight at ten / We'll be working again / At the teahouse on the tracks
DarkKarma0
Artisan
Artisan

Postby DarkKarma0 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:26 am

Harlan explains as he stuffs as much cardboard and cloth around the Time Ring. "As long as this tea tin carries at least a millimeter of actual tin--" Tap tap tap. "--which it does, then all I have to do is insulate the Time Ring. The tin will soak the electromagnetic pulse. Insulation blocks the circuit. Back to your timeline for afternoon tea. Come to think of it, you should brace yourself for the trip home. Using a Time Ring isn't quite as, shall we say, harrowing as River's Vortex Manipulator. But it will feel like falling through eternity. Because we would be."
Joe Medina
Starling
Honored Guest
Honored Guest

Postby Starling » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:45 pm

OK with the time ring properly protected creating the em blast can be done without concern for our ride home. However in spight of my reputation for making weapons I do not consider myself a shoot first :guns: etc... kind of person. I still think we should extend an olive branch :whiteflag: to my cousin and try to find out why she would create a weapon on armeggedon. :blowup:
DarkKarma0
Artisan
Artisan

Postby DarkKarma0 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:23 pm

Harlan blinks. "So you don't want to go bang-bang. You want to do the white flag thing and parlay in the hope of avoiding a big boom. Lack of boom is good. How about this: We contact the resistance, find out what we can from them, and then send a message directly to your cousin. At worst, we'll have an escape plan."
Joe Medina
Okamisan
Site Admin

Postby Okamisan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:20 am

Sounds like the first thing on the agenda, then, is to contact the resistance. How do you plan to do that?
DarkKarma0
Artisan
Artisan

Postby DarkKarma0 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:14 pm

I think the only reliable way to meet them face to face. We'd have to go into town as stealthily as possible and seek them out. Even if we reached them by radio, they'd be crazy to arrange a meeting over the air.

Return to “Archive”