Home, But Not Home -- Harlan and Lord Starling

Archive of inactive, closed threads.
DarkKarma0
Artisan
Artisan

Re: Home, But Not Home -- Harlan and Lord Starling

Postby DarkKarma0 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:42 pm

Harlan is going to keep watch for Cybermen, Cybermats, or flying drones.
Joe Medina
Starling
Honored Guest
Honored Guest

Postby Starling » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:59 pm

"Yes, it's me. You sound familiar... not quite sure why... a voice from the past..." :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Okamisan
Site Admin

Postby Okamisan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:19 pm

"Convinced you more than once to keep business out of the law courts, I should think," Munson says. "I thought you were gone, or dead, or worse. What do you want here? And who is that with you?"

Harlan, you can hear a heavy tread coming from further up the street. It's a single Cyberman, perhaps a patrol. It's still near the end of the block, several houses distant, and apparently hasn't seen you or Lord Starling ... yet.
If you've got eyes to rhythmatize / Bring your flat hat and your ax / 'Cause tonight at ten / We'll be working again / At the teahouse on the tracks
--Donald Fagen, "Teahouse on the Tracks," from the album Kamakiriad
DarkKarma0
Artisan
Artisan

Postby DarkKarma0 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:18 pm

"Let's talk inside," Harlan says and throws a look over his shoulder. "I'll fill you in as much as you like. We're not alone out here."
Joe Medina
Okamisan
Site Admin

Postby Okamisan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:17 pm

There is a pause, then Munson says, "Right then." You can hear the sounds of several locks and bolts being undone, then the door opens just wide enough for the two of you to squeeze inside. "Quick!"

As soon as you have slipped through, he quickly engages several locks and bolts. You also see that while the portal through which he was looking through the door is very high up, it is attached to a periscope of sorts, so Munson was actually standing on the floor.

Looking at him now, Lord Starling will see a weary and much aged man from what he remembers. The hallway is dark except for an oil lamp which is sitting on the floor. Munson picks it up, and says, "Come with me, gentlemen. You can tell me your story in what little comfort I can offer."

A short distance down the hallway is Munson's solicitor's office, a room whose walls are lined with law books. He offers you each a chair in front of his large desk, and sets the lamp on one corner. "Now then ... I see that it is indeed you, Rufus Starling. Everyone has thought you were dead! And who are you, sir?" he adds, looking to Harlan.
If you've got eyes to rhythmatize / Bring your flat hat and your ax / 'Cause tonight at ten / We'll be working again / At the teahouse on the tracks
Starling
Honored Guest
Honored Guest

Postby Starling » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:30 am

Goodness, where are my manners... Mr Munson, may I introduce... Harlan... He's... well... he's my travel agent... of sorts. ;)

Harlan, may I present Bothwick Munson Esq. my, or rather one of my, family solicitors, I can't believe I didn't make the connection. :nodnod:
DarkKarma0
Artisan
Artisan

Postby DarkKarma0 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:16 am

Harlan raises his hat to Munson. "Good evening, sir. Our apologies for imposing on you like this. Lord Starling was abroad, touring his family's holdings in the South Pacific. And on our return, we discovered... all this. Is the whole of England like this?"
Joe Medina
Okamisan
Site Admin

Postby Okamisan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:35 am

"It is the whole of the island, sir, and fast spreading beyond, though news is becoming harder to come by," Munson says. "Once it began, it spread faster than any of us would have believed -- though some might have guessed. Most of us -- we accepted that each of us has our place in a civilized society, and we thought everyone else did too. What we didn't realize was just how many had not accepted, but simply despaired. Until Julia came back. She disappeared not long after you ... went abroad, but she came back almost immediately. But changed."

He shakes his head, then looks up at both of you, apparently seized by a sudden terror. "You have come to find out, haven't you? You're not ... assessing me, are you?"
DarkKarma0
Artisan
Artisan

Postby DarkKarma0 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:55 pm

Harlan listens at the front door, wary of the Cybermen, adding in a hushed tone, "I'd dare say that everyone is assessing each other just to survive." He smirks to himself. "To survive. Mister Munson, listen carefully. We might have some idea of what happened to Lady Julia. This must be corrected. Sooner or later, Lord Starling and I must confront her. But first, we need to know how to get about safely -- in town, if you get my drift."
Joe Medina
Starling
Honored Guest
Honored Guest

Postby Starling » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Mr Munson, perhaps there is a code... an article of clothing or a hand gesture that that those in league with Julia give to walk freely in areas controlled by the automatons.

Return to “Archive”